Thursday 24 April 2014

PONDEROSA by Sea Dean - FREE LESSON - PROGRESS PHOTOS

PONDEROSA

PAINTING BY SEA DEAN
24" x 12" on deep gallery wrap canvasl

To view my Gallery or purchase this painting please visit Daily Paintworks

PONDEROSA by Sea Dean 24" x 12" Gallery Wrap Canvas
PROGRESS 3
PROGRESS 1
PROGRESS 2
PROGRESS 1
- Underpainting and first layer of lights and darks and establishing composition.

PROGRESS 2
- Establishing mid tones and re-enforcing compostional darks

PROGRESS 3
- Eliminating busyness and blocking in more sky. Notice in the last three images I was challenged by the upper inch or so. I finally found the right compositional detail to make it work.

FINAL - Balancing warm and cool tones,  creating uneven blocks, establishing focal point and colour spots, eliminating areas drawing the eye away from focal point.


I have a very small studio area and paint close to the work with short handled brushes. Being a daily painter I generall paint small, up to 8" x 10" so I'm used to focusing on detail. For these reasons one of my biggest challenges is eliminating busyness. I often find that I need to block out areas and eliminate small brush strokes to pull a large painting together. Therefore, my process with large paintings is one of removal rather than addition.

Since I first saw a magnificent Ponderosa Pine I've wanted to paint one: I love the spaces between the branches, the great bunches of needles, the giant cones and especially that rich dusty, woody smell they emit in the summer heat. All those bushy needles just seemed too intimidating. Certainly they would be very difficult to paint small, but I now have some galleries which need larger pieces with local scenes, so I have the opportunity to paint larger.

Whoopeeee!

I was inspired by a photo I saw on Facebook of a Ponderosa with a double trunk. I then trolled through my own photos amalgamating details and colours to come up with this final composition.


Cat # 14077 Ponderosa

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.