Sunday 28 June 2015

PONDEROSA

PONDEROSA
by Sea Dean
24" x 12" Canvas Wrap
Available on Artfinder

VIew my online Gallery of large works and Limited Editions at ARTFINDER

View my online Gallery of small works at DAILY PAINTWORKS

Shop for Limited Edition ACEO and printed products here

Art Cards $5 and Art Postcards $3 here

Ponderosa Pines dot the Okanagan Valley. They stand out against the golden grassland, azure sky and shiny lakes. I love their large bushy needles and pine cones which provide welcome shade when hiking. When you stand under one in the summer they exude a sort of dusty evergreen smell that is unmistakeably "PONDEROSA".

I'm always amazed at what a tree can endure: In our area it can go from -20 Celsius to +40 Celsius, hot and dry to freezing and knee deep snow, and yet these trees thrive.

This painting is one that I spent a great deal of time with last year and then set aside. I wasn't sure it was finished until I took it out for a show. I liked the sunny oranges and ochers and the atmosphere, but it needed something.

I was inspired to add branches from another tree across the top and that was missing factor, it was too uniform before. Now I think more work would rob the fresh country feeling it exudes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.