Thursday 4 February 2016

HAPPY HEART III - BOYS AND GIRLS - VALUE = STRUCTURE & FORM - COLOUR = EMOTION

HAPPY HEART III
(Boys and Girls)
Mixed Media on Strathmore Postcard
6" x 4"



KAREN MARGULIS BLOG

"Value provides the structure and form but color provides the emotion of a painting."

This was a quote by Karen Margulis that sent me on a journey. I love these easy to remember phrases that help me improve my technique. I've simplified it even further and will be posting it on the wall in my studio.

Value = Structure & Form
Color = Emotion

This painting was born from taking those ideas on. Everyone has a favorite color so I wanted to cover most of the bases. Magenta seems to garner a particularly strong response from both sexes, so I chose that for the background. Also it has no attachment to anything in nature, so it a perfect abstract color if you want to paint pure abstract.

In this painting I see a family with Mum, Dad, two boys, a girl and a baby. It also has suggestions of love, water, sun, earth, and a starry sky. That's the beauty with abstracts, they can be whatever you choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.