Thursday 30 June 2016

PERSISTENCE


TOPIARY
by Sea Dean
6" x 4" in 8" x 10"

SOLD

I recently read this blog - PERSISTENCE  - Jason of Xanadu Gallery and Red Dot blog has never ending insights and ideas from the Gallery owner perspective and has a great following, also with good ideas they share in comments. I recommend it.

As an entrepreneur, I've built many businesses over the years, but none as challenging as being an Artist. I concur that you just have to put your head down and keep on moving forward. Read everything you can about marketing your work and keep on trying till you find a fit. It's not the same for everyone, but once you've found your niche, things get A LOT easier and you feel it in your bones. I don't allow the negativity and difficulties to get me down and I always look for the silver lining. I've learned so much in the past 5 years, not only about the Art world, but about myself.

I've analyzed my Art business and identified the areas I want to focus on. I'm in the process of changing my online gallery site from Daily Paintworks to Artfinder; the former is no longer a good fit for where I'm going, although I would be the first to say it's a great place to start out. Artfinder will give me better world exposure and a more urban clientele.

Recently I've begun to feel like a successful artist. When I create now, it is things I want to make, particularly sculpture and 3D works. I'm currently working on a public sculpture for my local town, which is a first and something I'm very excited about. I'm getting too old to do shows with all the lifting, so I'm happy to provide local landscapes for YLW Skyway,  Ritchcraft Gallery in Kelowna and the Lake Country Art Gallery Shop. The occasional call catches my attention, but exhibitions take a lot of work and I rarely sell through them, so I am putting energy where the bill paying income is. The public sector is one area I am exploring and of course I will always do pet portraits.

As I near retirement, I have a huge personal "To Do" list that I'm working my way through; very few have anything to do with my art business. I'm focused on redecorating my home, selling things I no longer need and buying things I've always wanted. Lots more to do there, but Rome wasn't built in a day.

All the above have brought me a more fulfilling and peaceful life. Not necessarily more income, YET, but I'm sure it will come.

The painting above was created on 30th June 2013 and it was recently sold by Ritchcraft Gallery. Thank you Cathy. It is a prime example of what I'm talking about, it took nearly 3 years to sell, but I always liked it and believed in it. It didn't need any changes, just time for the right person to come along. I have consistently exhibited it online and at exhibition, changing the mounting and frame until it was in the right place at the right time. A great example of confidence and persistence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.