Thursday 12 October 2017

COLORS OF 2018 - On Trend!

Misty Lake - One Finger Drawing by Sea Dean

The yearly color craziness started with two similar and one totally different color of the year. Behr with a soft green, Sherwyn-Williams with a more highly pigmented but calming blue and Benjamin Moore with an intense Red. In reseaching this I also came across deep dusty pink (gasp) from Akzo Nobel and another pretty green in the same vein from Dunn Edwards. So it seems the compliments of green and red are in command this year.



Behr selected a lovely soft soothing green called “In the Moment”. When I first saw this group with its main star It made me happy. Each choice has a modern edge and there are quite a few that may find their way into my decor. A few months ago I actually purchased some fabric in the main color to make cushion covers (still on the list). And my newer “One Finger Drawings“ demonstrate many of these more natural choices. I like them because they are soft but clean, less greyed down than recent trends.


Peaceful Lake - One Finger Drawing by Sea Dean

Sherwyn-Williams is in the same mindset with “Oceanside”. This heavily pigmented blue/green has mesmerizing character and reminds me of my “One Finger” drawings “Deep Lake I and II“.




Then Benjamin Moore, always radical, released “Caliente” and although it’s a lovely color, I cant see it catching on in great numbers can you? It makes a good accent color in cushions, vases, paintings etc, but it’s a highly pigmented, high power color which would be hard to take in large areas.

My painting “Crimson Circle” would work in this color scheme - pop without overwhelm.










No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.