Monday 12 February 2018

Snow Fall - Bob Ross in Acrylic 1-12 - #30in30 - 13





This is day 13 of the 30 painting in 30 days challenge and also day 13 in the Opus Daily Practice challenge. This morning the water in the building was unexpectedly shut off and then the fire alarm kicked in, so I didnt manage to paint ahead as much as I wanted to. I did get this painting done though, and I think it turned out well.

Snow paintings are fun to paint but the don’t sell well unless you have a gallery on a ski hill. I’ve sold quite a few snowy paintings at Kelowna airport where our ski buffs fly in and out, but generally buyers prefer spring and summer landscapes. Therefore, I resisted painting “Snow Fall”, but when I saw that Bob was actually painting snowflakes, I had to give his method a try. As it turns out, it’s very similar to my method. Watch the vido to see how.

Today Bob emphasized the importance of using stretched canvas, rather than canvas board, because it absorbs the oil too fast. I made the mistake of purchasing cheap canvas boards to practice with in the beginning and I agree with Bob that stretched canvas is much better, if its good quality with a very tight stretch (if it droops in the middle or has poor quality prep. it causes even more problems).

For the past 10 paintings I used Canson Plein Air Canva Artboards, which come in a pad of 10 sealed together with removeable glue to give a tight, hard, canvas like surface. At first I found they absorbed ordinary acrylics too quickly, but if you look back over my Bob Ross blogs you will see the formula for my “liquid White” substitution which has made them work really well. I actually prefer the boards to stretched canvas now. It says right on the pack that they are ready to use without priming and I’m all for simplicity.

Sadly, I’ve now run out of Canva, so for my next few paintings I will be using a similar product, Canson Plein Air Mix Media Artboards, which have a smoother surface. So far I’ve found they are even more absorbant and need a lot more moisture to get a smooth brushstroke. That is occasionally a good thing, but mostly a pain.


Bob Ross Season 1 Episode 12 - Snow Fall


Leslie Saeta 30 paintings in 30 days gallery
Posted my painting on 30 paintings in 30 days blog as #4

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.