Wednesday 14 February 2018

Winter Sun - Bob Ross in Acrylic 2-2 - #30in30 - 15


Winter Sun by Sea Dean
Inspired by watching Bob Ross
The image doesnt do justice to the lovely colorful greys in this work.



I’m finally getting into the groove. Bob himself says he is just painting to give ideas and technique, he doesn’t expect the student to copy. I never understood this before and it makes me happy to know I can experiment. Being an experienced artist I would find it far too confining to replicate.

Sometimes it is something Bob says that inspires me, or it’s an interesting technique, or a wonderful blend of colors .... and before I know it I’m off at a tangent. Here it was an interesting mix of Phthalo Green and Alizarin Crimson that set me off.


Bobs Tips

Use a heavy duty easel which holds the painting firmly because this method calls for pressing hard into the canvas at times

Use a large palette because you need to have plenty of room to mix enough color to use across the whole painting so the color doesnt change with a new mix.

Your paint should be very thick. When squeezing it out of the tube it should stand up about 3/4” before starting to bend.

Seas tips for acrylic conversion

With oil paint it takes weeks to dry so you can squeeze out a huge blob. One of the main challenges I find with my students is the do the same with acrylic, which dries in minutes and a lot of paint is wasted. One way around this is a good quality sta-wet palette and another is to use slower drying acrylics like Golden Open. I don’t squeeze out any paint until I need it. Even so, try to guage how
much you will need for your size of painting

Bob Ross Season 2 Episode 2 painting Tutorial - Winter Sun

see all the paintings of the 30 day challenge here
Mine is posted at #5

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.