Friday 6 March 2020

GNH or Gross National Happiness


As I enter my third age, that of so called retirement, I have been pondering what I really want to plan for my next 10 years. When I dedicated the last 10 years to art in 2010, I had no idea of the challenges ahead, and I suspect I have no idea of the challenges ahead in the next 10 years, but I do want them to be happy and involve plenty of fun.

In contemplating the idea of happiness, I remember that one country in the world actually has it written into their constitution. The phrase “Gross National Happiness” contrary to most countries “Gross National Product”, was initiated in 1976 by then King of Bhutan, Jigme_Singye_Wangchuck. The tiny, landlocked nation leads the world with their desire to nurture a happy population. Read more about it here. Wikepedia.

As I look back, almost my entire life had been dedicated to helping friends and relatives stay in the happy zone. That hasn’t necessarily lead to my own happiness, especially when caring for aging parents and friends: There is a modicum of pleasure, knowing that you are making their life a little better, but it doesn't involve the type of unbounded joy I experienced when young. Personal aging and health issues also leave a toll on mental, emotional and physical well being. I’m not even sure that unbounded joy is what I want to experience, as it seems a little unhinged. I’m open to all possibilities though.

REACH FOR THE STARS by Sea Dean 

I do think that unless an opportunity for fun and pleasure is built into the schedule, it will be passed over or totally ignored amongst the busyness of life. Therefore, for the past year I have actually started scheduling in fun, pleasure and happiness. My schedule is color coded, so I made the fun color bright yellow for joy. Every day I check my life balance and if I see too little yellow in my schedule, I look for some joyful things to add. It may be a walk by the lake, thrift shopping, a ballet performance, lunch or just chatting with a friend. It has made a difference in my well being, and I encourage everyone to give it a try. Squeeze out a few moments to nurture your own happiness.

1 comment:

  1. Great idea Sea! Wishing you abundant yellow in your days :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.