Wednesday 3 August 2016

HOW DO I SELL MY ART ONLINE?

LAKE AT SUNSET by Sea Dean

HOW DO I SELL MY ART ONLINE

This is a question I often get asked when other artists find out that I sell my work online. Currently I maintain two platforms Daily Paintworks and Artfinder. This is a burgeoning field and it is quite a challenge to find the right web presence, but here is a start. This is the most comprehensive list of Art selling platforms that I know

250+ PLACES TO SELL YOUR ART ONLINE 

I suggest investing a month of research time in finding a few sites you enjoy and study them for a while. Each day choose a letter of the alphabet on the list and look through the listings. Click on the interesting ones and click around the site. Some letters like "A" may take a couple of days to study. Keep a list of the sites you enjoy, bookmark them or write a list with links in a word document. As there are 26 letters in the alphabet this should take roughly a month and not be too overwhelming.

After you have your list check your favorite websites and sign up for email updates. I find daily updates are too overwhelming, but many sites allow you to choose how often you would like them to email you or what type of information you prefer. 

Over several months you will get a feel for each preferred site and whether you want to take it further. Some websites are juried and you have to complete a proposal with images of your work. Others have free competitions or ways to show your art without cost. Some charge commission when you sell and others charge a monthly fee. Don't go overboard because maintaining web presence on a website takes time. 

I suggest only selecting one or two favorites in the beginning, maintain your images, join the discussions, rotate your work etc. on a daily basis. If you are a daily painter, post your new work daily, if you paint less regularly, post any new work when complete, but in between socialize, market and be involved daily. This is the way you rise to the top of search engines.

Contact me with any questions and I'll do my best to help. Also share any successes you have in comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.