Thursday 15 September 2016

PRINTS AND GICLEE

THE SINGING BUTLER - Jack Vettriano
I have to go shopping for
a) a good printing company in my local area and/or
b) an excellent printer/scanner.
So I'm starting my research. My last printers did a great job on my Art Cards, but I no longer visit their area and I like to buy locally to make it easier for proofing and rush orders. Not to mention that ordering from a distance usually incurs large shipping costs in Canada, costs which I have to pass on to the customer and that affects sales.

I've found that Art Cards are not the big seller they once were, but stand alone prints and prints with mats seem to do well in locations that allow them. Also with the advent of Giclee printing on canvas, there is a large market for those that love oil and acrylic art but can't afford the real thing. Another option is a sort of hybrid, where an artist prints one of their best works, usually as a Giclee, adds some extra texture and paint, then sells a limited edition of around 100.

Many professional artists believe that making prints of their work devalues originals, however, I look to the massive popularity of artists like Jack Vettriano of "The Singing Butler" fame, and I can't help wondering if print is the way to go.

Anyone that has read my blog for a while knows that I don't jump into anything without a good deal of research. Technology is very fast moving and confusing for most of us and by the time I've chosen a new item it is usually discontinued. That is not a bad thing, because Amazon clears out older models for a great price.

For me, the sad thing is that after massive amounts of online and offline research, I usually find that what I'm looking for hasn't been invented yet. :(

Katharine Tyrell of Making a Mark has some useful blogs below and I will be posting more information as I continue my research.

TIPS ON PRINTERS, COPIERS AND SCANNERS FOR ARTISTS

PRINTERS COME AND PRINTERS GO (from 2009)




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.