Saturday 2 December 2017

ADVENT GIFT - Water

WATER ON HAND by Sea Dean
The Gift of Clean Running Water

Have you ever considered how lucky you are to turn on a tap and out comes fresh clean water? I was reminded of this when I went to make coffee this morning and nothing came out of the tap??? Our building has a central water system and there are no in unit shut offs, so I thought nothing of it, occasionally someone is replacing a tub or sink and the water is turned off for an hour. Perhaps they forgot to post a notice.

An hour later still no water. Now I was getting a bit peeved because I had a morning meeting and I wanted to freshen up... I missed the meeting. Another hour and the toilet situation was getting dire - we only have one biffy. I donned a coat to investigate and there WAS a note on the board
“ Sorry burst pipe! Will get water back ASAP. Plumber called.”

I luckily remembered I had some bottled water for tea and coffee, but now I really, really wanted a shower. Also, air freshener and poo powder wasnt cutting it. By noon my Mum and I were both miserable and I was about to start an insurrection! I suggested going for lunch and using the restaurant bathroom, but neither of us wanted to go out in public without a shower.

At 1 pm the water came sputtering back, chocolate brown and smelly, but it was running water. Ahhhhh! Right now I’m so thankful for clean running water!

Just imagine what it must be like to live without plumbed in facilities. Maybe a pit out house and walking for an hour with two buckets to get water from a well. This is reality for thousands in impoverished regions.

My painting “Water on Hand” highlights the need.



Do you have a water story to share in comments?

Sea

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.