Wednesday 1 May 2019

Red Sails

RED SAILS by Sea Dean $125

A slight rework of a seascape for my solo. Originally the sunset was a bit too bright, taking the eye away from the magical red sail. Red sails are traditional for the fishing fleet in Cornwall, England and thoughts of Cornwall inspired this piece. I always think sails should be brightly coloured as white sails could be mistaken for waves. Theres no fear of a red sail being missed in a search or collision.

In the exhibition I hung RED SAILS with SUNSET OVER GEORGIA STRAIT below.

SUNSET OVER GEORGIA STRAIT by Sea Dean $125

Available at my solo exhibition - 150 Years of Abstract - or by contacting me

On show at Lake Country Coffee House until May 18th
The Coffee House has new owners and extended hours, so head out on the rail trail and take a detour to this great venue for a latte and lunch.

Bottom Wood Lake Road, Lake Country, BC, Canada
behind Lake Country Art Gallery, which currently has a wonderful pet portrait exhibition


Why were sails traditionally red? Actually it was a red/brown color caused by the tar preservative used to prevent mould and mildew and make the cotton canvas sails last longer. Some owners stick with tradition, even though modern canvas is treated with colorless chemicals.

Lugger
The lugger was the workhorse of Cornish fishing fleet for over 200 years. Two distinct variants emerged; their design based upon whether they were to be used for fishing in the harsh waters of the Atlantic or calmer coastal regions.

This song dates from 1935, but the Cornish fleet pre-dates it by some distance

Red sails in the sunset
Way out on the sea
Oh, carry my loved one 
Home safely to me
She sailed at the dawning 
All day I've been blue
Red sails in the sunset 
I'm trusting in you
Swift wings you must borrow
Make straight for the shore
We marry tomorrow
And she goes sailing no more
Red sails in the sunset 
Way out on the sea
Oh, carry my loved one 
Home safely to me
Red sails in the sunset
Way out on the sea (ooh-wee-ooh, wee-ooh)
Oh, carry my loved one
Home safely to me

Songwriters: Wilhelm Grosz / Jimmy Kennedy
Read Sails in the Sunset lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC, Shapiro Bernstein & Co. Inc.

1 comment:

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.