Monday 21 January 2013

DESERT ROAD

Day 21 - 30 in 30

DESERT ROAD
ORIGINAL ART ACEO 2.5" x 3.5"
Larger Originals in the same series, or Prints may be available. To view my Gallery please visit Daily Paintworks.  

This painting is SOLD but I'm happy to take a commission for a similar work. Contact me to inquire about prints and art cards.

I used to drive to Arizona every winter and spend a few weeks in the desert. I love desert light and the long empty roads with spectacular visitas. 

When T. E. Lawrence (Lawrence of Arabia) was asked why he liked the desert, he said "It's clean!" I wonder if he was referring to the lack of dirt in the desert or the lack of pollution? Or perhaps it was the clean, clear light which he reveled in. Lawrence was born in England and lived in wet, grey, London before launching his desert campaign so he left behind the "Pea Souper" fogs partly caused by industrialization. I can imagine the clear desert light was a wonderful change for him and I feel the same way in the southern U.S.

Recently I've enjoyed some lovely desert scenes like Léon Belly (1827-1877) "Pilgrims going to Mecca" in Paris, Musée d'Orsay. This William Turner "Old London Bridge" shows the different light in London. If you open up each in a window and place them together you will see the startling difference particularly in shadows and sky.

Auction closing today on SNOWFALL. Bids from $9 
Click on photo to bid

Tip: Think about the quality of the air before you paint. Are distant objects clear or indistinct? Is the air clear, foggy, or polluted? Air quality influences your palette and edges.

I welcome comments below. If you have a challenge posting use Anonymous but please put your byline.

LINKS TO BLOG ARCHIVE
How many paintings does it take to become a professional Artist?
The importance of Statistics
"Every Painting should have a hint of red"
Where will your painting find a home?
A fascination for Miniatures - ATC, ACEO, OOAK etc  
"I would rather die of passion than of boredom"
 
(Cat # 13018 - posted as # 9 on Leslie Saeta's 30 in 30)

2 comments:

  1. Great desert painting. I love the mood it sets.
    I am familiar with the Turner but not Belly.
    Regarding desert.
    Did you ever see the movie Baghdad Cafe? Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie. Yes it's quite odd walking the huge galleries here and seeing masterpieces you have either forgotten or have never seen before because the same old ones are trotted out for every article. I was actually looking for a different obscure Turner which I couldn't even find on the web!

      I will put the movie on my list.

      Thanks for the praise. I'm having fun with 30 in 30. Getting out of the box.

      Delete

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.