Saturday 29 November 2014

Ist ADVENT - WHAT DOES YOUR TREE SAY? - TRIPLE TREE ORNAMENT AT THE U100 SHOW - DAILY PAINTWORKS PICK OF THE DAY



TRIPLE TREE ORNAMENT
4" x 4" Wrap Canvas 
Hanging from a green ribbon and painted back and front.

View my online Gallery of originals please visit DAILY PAINTWORKS
Shop for Limited Edition ACEO here
Bid on my exclusive limited time SILENT AUCTIONS here


WHAT DOES YOUR TREE SAY?
I found this article on Houzz last year and it got me thinking.

I am a minimalist and a perfectionist myself, but I never really achieve the look I want in my house, or in my tree. I think the challenge is that a Christmas tree is intended to represent the people that live in the house and therefore it takes on multiple personalities. Another challenge is that we keep decorations from year to year not wanting to spend a fortune buying new ones; our furniture and decor may change and even our preferences, but year after year the same old decorations come out of storage and on the tree they go.

I love a luscious tree that brushes the ceiling and the top has to be chopped off to allow for the star or angel topper. I like ornaments from years past, and cherish a little piece of golden tinsel that was mine as a child. When my father was alive we used to have wonderful large trees, decorated to the hilt. It was his job to drape the lights and the family did the rest while he sat in his chair with a glass of egg nog and gave the odd bit of advice. He also had the honour of placing the final angel topper and hitting the switch.

We follow the German tradition of decorating the tree on Christmas Eve. Because we start a month later than most, we would sally forth the afternoon of December 24th to find that tree lots only had leftovers. Sometimes two or three trees would be tied together so they made a magnificent specimen. Lately we have found that tree lots close earlier and earlier and leave the trees abandoned or take them to the dump and it is getting harder to find a fresh tree. Sometimes we would have to drive to two or three towns to find one and end up getting back cold and tired but as soon as the brandy flowed we thawed out and got out the tinsel.

A couple of years ago I purchased a white tree for indoor or outdoor use and that makes a nice change. Then if I can't find a real tree on Christmas Eve at least I have another to substitute. This year I'm going to decorate my tree entirely in red, or at least that's the plan. Of course when I go through the boxes looking for red baubles I'm bound to find a favourite gold angel or silver snowflake and I may go off track.

What are your special or unique holiday traditions. I'd love to hear about them in comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.