Sunday 20 March 2016

BORDERS - ART IN CANADA - THE AUTOMATISTS


BORDERS by Sea Dean - 10" x 8" Gallery Wrap Canvas

The painting above was created by photographing the accidental marks on my painting desk, cropping an interesting section and copying the strokes onto a larger canvas. This method forces me to step back and allow chance to shine It gives me an opportunity to remove myself from structure and simply allow the color and brushwork to speak.

An observer may comment that there is no creativity in the work, but I would argue that it is the cropping of the original image that demands an artist's eye. This method makes the painting a great candidate for pairing with work of the Automatists below.



THE AUTOMATISTS OF MONTREAL

I discovered this old movie somewhere while I was looking for something else. It's quite an interesting look at art in Montreal, Canada about 60 years ago. This was at a time when abstract art was relatively rare and not well embraced by the general population. Montreal has always been one of the forerunners of avant garde thought in music and art, so I decided to give it a look.

Although quirky, I really enjoyed this old NFB documentary. Even today, Montreal is one of the few places in Canada that a man is likely to wear a suit for the sake of grooming and fashion, not because of convention

https://www.nfb.ca/film/artist_in_montreal


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.