Tuesday 31 March 2020

Isolation Marrons Glacé (Candied Chestnuts)

In times like this we can’t predict the future, but it’s best to conserve as much nutrition as possible. I’m continuing to  rummage around, making sure I use all my perishable ingredients and not let anything go to waste. I purchased a large amount of organic chestnuts at Christmas and due to family circumstances didn’t use all of them. I washed them in their shells and placed them in bags in the fridge, hoping I would find time to do something with them later.

A few days ago I decided to try them in salad and possibly attempt to candy them. Chestnuts must be soaked for at least a few hours before roasting so they stay moist when cooking, 24 hours for good measure. After soaking I washed and wiped off the mold that had grown on the shell, then cut a cross into the flat side to stop them exploding in the oven and make them easier to peel. Roasting only takes about 10 mins. I used my convection toaster oven. Once roasted I shelled and tasted them, apart from a few black areas, which I cut off, they were delicious.

I tried them in salad, but the chestnut flavor didn't come through well. Then I used the recipe below to make the rest into Marrons Glacé, the famous candy that Queen Victoria loved. It’s simple but takes a minimum of two days as they soak up the syrup, so be patient.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/marrons-glace-candied-chestnuts-recipe-1375145

The first resting period, best in a covered dish at room temperature

1 comment:

  1. Interesting. And tasty :) So glad you are having creative food fun Sea :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.