Monday 12 August 2013

PALM POT - Musing

PHOTO OF PAINTING
PALM POT
 
ORIGINAL BY SEA DEAN
9" x 12"
On Foam Board 
On Auction

To view my Gallery or purchase this original please visit Daily Paintworks. Larger originals or prints may be available by contacting me. 


A new Substrate, a new size. Mixing it up and exploring new ground.

MUSING...

Sometimes you paint away and Blog away and it's like working in a vacuum. The Blogs get posted, the paintings get posted, paintings sell, you see the readers of your Blog and the number of visitors to your gallery and shop grow, but it is all silent. I find this odd!

On the other hand, I could be sitting in the wind, rain, and heat of outdoor summer shows and holding structured exhibitions. I could be making bricks and mortar gallery appearances, rubbing shoulders with potential patrons, socializing, listening and answering questions.

I'm not sure which is works best and they are both stressful in their own way. 

It's stressful not knowing how people are going to react to a new painting. In the past I have posted two very similar paintings and watched while one gets masses of attention and one gets hardly a look. "What is it?" I ask myself that makes that one more popular than the other? The funny thing is that it's not the paintings with the highest clicks that sell, and I have to conclude that there is something which excites fellow Artists to click on the image, but it doesn't speak to buyers.

It's also stressful spending long hours on your feet in front of the public, answering the same questions over and over and hearing the same comments, usually things like "Lovely" "I love the colours" or worse "I have a similar painting at home I got at Walmart" or "My little girl is so talented I'm sure she could paint something like that" and so on.  And what is the secret touch that has people that visit shows actually buy? I wish I knew!

However, one of my favourite aspects of being an Artist is attending the opening night of an exhibition and meeting my fellow Artists. It's also great being introduced to potential purchasers who ask intelligent questions about motivation and technique which makes me feel like my work is deeply appreciated. It's nice to know someone has taken the time to study a painting and interact with me on a more than superficial level.

So for me, it looks like it's time to enter a few Juried exhibitions and create a one person show. It's been a long time since I went to a good opening party. Actually I'm in the process of planning for the fall and winter, so stay tuned.




13196 Palm Pot

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.