Friday 6 September 2013

DAY 7 - 30 PAINTINGS IN 30 DAYS - CANNA LILY ACEO

PHOTOGRAPH OF PAINTING IN NATURAL LIGHT
FLASH PHOTO SHOWING BRONZE

CANNA LILY
ORIGINAL ACEO BY SEA DEAN

2.5" x 3.5"
On Auction starting at just $11

To view my Gallery or purchase this painting please visit Daily Paintworks. Larger originals or prints may be available by contacting me. You may also view ALL my available ACEO in my Facebook Gallery here.

One week into the 30 paintings in 30 days challenge and I'm holding up well. I usually paint every day, but don't always finish a painting. I often have several going at once and do the finishing when I feel in the groove. My multi layer approach often needs time to dry, especially when I use my favourite Golden Open paint which has a slow drying formula. 

To tell you the truth I'm not absolutely sure this is a Cana Lily so if you know please confirm or correct me. A gardener I am not, but I do love flowers. These always remind me of "The Day of the Triffids" which was a best seller and I think, also a movie in the 1950's. If you haven't read the book and you like scientific horror, it's a classic.

ORIGINAL REFERENCE PHOTO
This is one of those paintings that I've learned has to be seen in the flesh; no amount of messing around with camera and scanner will show all the wonderful variations in red, so you will have to trust me. I've added a touch of bronze which you can see in the second flash photo. 

I'm very happy with the result, even though it took many hours to paint and almost got abandoned several times. The difficulty was getting just the right shade of yellow and red without appearing too garish. The background is dark green with my favourite deep indigo Matisse and even that doesn't show well in the photos.

Cat 13218 Canna Lily
My own reference photo
Posted on Leslie Saeta 30 in 30 as number 15

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sea,

    Yes, I believe that is a canna lily. Love your ACEO. How do you display them?

    Thanks so much for your comment on my blog. Did you look up Carol Nelson? I highly recommend her workshops if you have any interest in mixed media.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough I am going to address display tomorrow. I cover it quite often in my blog but haven't done it for a while. Stay tuned.

      Delete
  2. Its beautiful no matter what it is called! I to paint in layers and today nothing finished but Im painting! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan. Never mind, you'll have a day where it will all get finished and you'll be very impressed with yourself.

      Delete

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.