Saturday 7 September 2013

DAY 8 - 30 PAINTINGS IN 30 DAYS - PRIMA BEACH ACEO - ALLA PRIMA


PRIMA BEACH ACEO
ORIGINAL ACEO BY SEA DEAN
2.5" x 3.5"
On auction at Daily Paintworks starting at just $11

To view my Gallery or purchase this painting please visit Daily Paintworks. Larger originals or prints may be available by contacting me. You may also view my available ACEO in my Facebook Gallery here.


VIOLET BEACH - Prism Violet
I found with the underpainted photos, I had to lighten them considerably to make them look good on the screen. In processing the intricacies are lost I have included the alla prima, shown next to the one with Australian Sienna under-painting because I used Australian Sienna as a contrast.


PEACH BEACH - Cadmium Red Light
MAGENTA BEACH -
I realized that when I did the series on under-painting earlier in the week, I was missing a painting with no under-painting. Prima Beach is ALLA PRIMA which I describe as using a white canvas with no under-painting. It can also mean painted all in one session without drying periods. 

 

Because the internet is so important to marketing Art, over the last couple of years I've conducted many experiments to find the best image of my work. Over time I've discovered that toned canvas and multi-layer acrylic paintings look fantastic in real life, but are very difficult to photograph without assuming a grey cast. 

I have tested different types of paint, varnish, under-painting etc. and it appears that Alla Prima keeps its glow under multiple lighting conditions. Importantly, I find a higher sales ratio with this approach. 

SERENE BEACH - Australian Sienna
I also prefer the flexibility of "wet on wet", not having to worry about allowing the toned canvas to show through and I can place counter colours exactly where needed. This is less of a challenge with large paintings but with miniature ACEO a single brush hair can make a big difference.

My personal favourite here is the Magenta under painting, but I like the two warm tones, Cadmium Red Light and Australian Sienna, almost as much. I see the place of Prism Violet under painting in creating a calming mood, but I prefer more pep.

You may enjoy several of my previous blogs on the subject of under painting.









PRIMA BEACH - Alla Prima






























Cat 13219 Prima Beach
Posted as number 29 on Leslie Saeta 30 in 30

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.