Saturday 28 December 2013

BEFORE THE WIND - FIND YOUR PALETTE

BEFORE THE WIND
8" x 6" Canvas Panel

To view my Gallery or purchase this painting please visit Daily Paintworks. Larger originals or prints may be available by contacting me.

FINDING YOUR PALETTE

I just found a great tool for those that have trouble figuring out what colours to use when painting. You can upload an image and it will give three palette choices, or you can select your own from the colours it has identified in the image.

http://www.cssdrive.com/imagepalette/

Once you have the colours identified, you can mix them, dot on white paper and when dry, hold them against the suggested palette to see if they match. With acrylic you must wait until they are fully dry because they change colour, some more than others.

Here I uploaded an image, clicked "select palette" and this is what I got. Then I painted a semi abstract, using the palette for inspiration. As I continued to work, I "pushed" the colour into luminosity to experiment, but still retained the essence of blue/green and red/orange.


The website also has other tools which I will cover in later posts.


Cat # 13278 Before the wind
4th Day of Christmas

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this. I love experimenting with palettes. I love your sailboat painting. Great and unusual colors! You can sense the fullness of the wind in the sails.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful. I was aiming for that feeling you get when the wind is up and the sails are full, skimming across an ocean filled with light. The green was inspired by pushing the palette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your strong dynamic design adds so much to this as well as the color.
    Love learning about new things.Thanks for sharing the app. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. Credit for the composition is to the photographer, although I did lift and emphasize the lines to show movement, rather than copy. My original intention was to be more abstract using the flow and shapes. I think I may try again being less distinct. Unfortunately I haven't been able to identify the photographer, so far, hopefully they will contact me.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.