Thursday 20 February 2014

SLEEPING BEAUTY on Windpower Vellum



SLEEPING BEAUTY
ORIGINAL PAINTING BY SEA DEAN
6" x 8" on Windpower Vellum

To view my Gallery or purchase this painting please visit Daily Paintworks. Larger originals or prints may be available by contacting me.

Some may think I've gone off the rails, but actually I'm returning to my love of expressionism and whimsy. Impressionist style landscapes and seascapes are fun, but occasionally I have to return to free flowing design. This type of art is popular in Europe and major cultural centers around the world, but not as popular on the marketing website I use. If anyone knows a place where I can sell Expressionist and large Abstract paintings I would be very interested to know.

I have some favourite sections of this painting. What do you like most about it?

EXPRESSIONISM

Expressionism was developed as an avant-garde style before the First World War. In a general sense, painters such as Matthias Grünewald and El Greco are sometimes termed expressionist, though in practice the term is applied mainly to 20th-century works.

Expressionism was a modernist movement, initially in poetry and painting, originating in Germany at the beginning of the 20th century. The style extended to a wide range of the arts, including expressionist architecture, painting, literature, theatre, dance, film and music. It remained popular during the Weimar Republic, particularly in Berlin.

The Expressionist emphasis on individual perspective has been characterized as a reaction to positivism and other artistic styles such as Naturalism and Impressionism. Expressionist artists sought to express meaning or emotional experience rather than physical reality. The term is sometimes suggestive of angst. Its typical trait is to present the world solely from a subjective perspective, distorting it radically for emotional effect in order to evoke moods or ideas.

From Wikepedia


Cat # 14040 Sleeping Beauty

1 comment:

  1. I love her body, arm.. all of that movement. The moon is wonderful, and the little bit in the left hand corner reminds me of Munch. I like this side of your rails Sea!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.