Friday 11 April 2014

FAMOUS ARTIST BIRTHDAY - ROBERT DELAUNAY - MY INNER CIRCLE


MY INNER CIRCLE
PAINTING BY SEA DEAN
4" x 4" Mini Master on Canvas Panel
Homage to Robert Delaunay on his birthday

To view my Gallery or purchase this painting please visit Daily Paintworks. Larger originals or prints may be available by contacting me.

When I reviewed Delaunay's work "Premier Disque" 1913 seemed the natural choice because I have a history of loving circles and suns. The original is over four feet square and the Mini Master Series uses a 4 inche square format. I wanted to echo the essence of the original with colour and attempt to duplicate   the emotional response. The final result packs quite a punch and I imagine the large, but simple original created quite a stir in pre-WWI Europe.

I chose to follow the dividing lines and cut the circle in four, rotate and leave a central empty star. When I completed it to this stage, The star proved too dominant and I decided to re-state the original circle in a Monet-esque swirling orange to complete the diminutive piece. Some may say this is too much of a departure and destroys the integrity of the piece. I, on the other hand, I love that central sun (being cadmium yellow and red the camera over reacts so imagine it a few notches less vibrant).


File:Robert Delaunay, 1913, Premier Disque, 134 cm, 52.7 inches, Private collection.jpgROBERT DELAUNAY

 (12 April 1885 – 25 October 1941) A French artist who, with his wife Sonia Delaunay and others, co-founded the Orphism art movement which is noted for its use of strong colours and geometric shapes. His gift was the bold use of colour and a clear love of experimentation in both depth and tone. Although he started his painting life as a fairly natural painter, his later were increasingly abstract.

Robert Delaunay, 1912-1913, Premier Disque,
134 cm (52.7 inches) square - Private collection



Cat # 14072 My Inner Circle

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.