Thursday 3 April 2014

RECIPE - EASY HOT CROSS BUNS - BLUE HORIZON - A Daily Paintworks Pick of the Day


BLUE HORIZON
8" x 10" on canvas panel
PROFESSIONAL ACRYLIC PAINTING BY SEA DEAN

To view my Gallery or purchase this painting please visit Daily Paintworks. Larger originals or prints may be available by contacting me.

This study on waves is a larger piece than I usually post on my Daily Paintworks gallery and auction site. I'm particularly pleased with the texture in the beach. It is a Daily Paintwords PICK OF THE DAY, chosen by the webmaster from a couple of hundred new works.

ORIGINS OF THE Hot Cross Bun

Lent is well underway, having started on the evening of shrove Tuesday and this is traditionally a time of fasting and prayer. It occurs to me that even if you are not Christian, it is a good time to eat a healthier diet and lose a few pounds while contemplating your choices in the last year. Are they helping or hindering you? Do they make you happy or sad etc. I was very busy in January, a time when I usually review and renew, so perhaps I'm feeling the need to look inwards, so this is a good opportunity for me.

Noon on Good Friday is traditionally the end of Lent and that is when we have Hot Cross Buns to celebrate. I don't like mixed peel, so for a long time I avoided Hot cross Buns or made my own without. Recently a friend of mine said she was looking for a simple HCB recipe. I put my brain to work and came up with this.


EASY HOT CROSS BUNS

Buy ordinary frozen bread dough and doctor it up

1. Sweeten to taste with white or brown sugar, honey or diet sweetener. Knead to mix
2. Add powdered cinnamon, ginger, all spice, cardamon, or any other spices you like. Knead to mix.
3. Add any of these or any combination, raisins, mixed peel, cherries, cranberries, dried apple, dried apricot, chopped nuts, chocolate chips etc.
4. Knead and form into small buns
5. Place on silicon or lightly greased baking sheet
4. Mix a little sweetness with milk and egg
5. Add a cross of icing after baking. 
6. Follow baking directions on packet (probably around 15 - 20 mins)
7. Cut open, toast, butter and share.
EAT!


"Sharing a hot cross bun with another is supposed to ensure friendship throughout the coming year, particularly if "Half for you and half for me, Between us two shall goodwill be" is recited at the time; therefore it is said they should only be cooked one at a time. Because there is a cross on the buns, some say they should be kissed before being eaten." From Wikipedia


Cat # 11026 Blue Horizon

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.