Tuesday 8 April 2014

WHITE ROSE III - 30 Strokes (close anyway)

WHITE ROSE III
"8 x 8" on gallery canvas
PROFESSIONAL ACRYLIC PAINTING BY SEA DEAN

To view my Gallery or purchase this painting please visit Daily Paintworks. Larger originals or prints may be available by contacting me.

My goal today was to create a rose with 30 Strokes of the brush. Loosening up your brushwork - A tip from Nancy Medina Join in if you like. and post your link in comments.

I'm getting better at this although it's very trying. I'm developing some new techniques, but I have to wonder if anyone has tried this with acrylics. I have a mind to haul out my oils, and give it a go.

Here I tried first blocking in the rose with a few sweeps of ivory white to save brushstrokes. Then I  mixed in some yellow and made a few more sweeps for warmth. Although my style is direct from the tube, I find straight acrylic violet is too cool, bright and dries a lot darker, so I added a little warm purple and some ivory mix for the shadow. Then a few outlines in a colorful brown mix.

This is much looser than White Rose I from a few blogs ago. I'm taking Nancy to mean count the brushstrokes to create the rose, not the background as well which would be impossible. Next time I will be attempting 15 strokes. Yikes!


Cat # 14068 White Rose III - 30 Strokes

6 comments:

  1. Thank you Sheila. I do hope you get these replies. I find it hard to negotiate Google Plus. I tried really hard with this to make it lighter and softer and I like the result. It's off to a Gallery as soon as the auction is over, unless it sells.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful and I love the soft color harmony. It suits the rose.
    I must check out Nancy's blog. I know that Peggy Kroll Robert does the same exercise in her workshops. It is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie. What was interesting here was that the dipping water was a lovely lavendar colour when I had done, which means I used hardly any complimentaries to turn it grey.

      Delete
  3. What a great idea! I will have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to my blog Kim. I love your work. The exercise is very challenging. Quite an eye opener.

      Delete

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.