Sunday 24 May 2015

MY FRIEND, SWAMPY and RIVER FLOWERS

RIVER FLOWERS by Sea Dean
6" x 8" on Strathmore Windpower

View my online Gallery of originals here DAILY PAINTWORKS
Shop for Limited Edition ACEO here
Art Postcards $3 and Art Cards $5 here
Fridge Magnets and Totes here

Well, I guess you're never too old to learn something new.

MY FRIEND SWAMPY

My studio/gallery only has a noisy and expensive air conditioner in the main gallery/lounge area, so I've been trying to work out what to do on those screaming hot days in July/August that are fast approaching. Central air is not possible and due to the configuration of the building I can only fix a split air conditioner on my balcony/studio wall, but again it would be expensive and take up valuable outdoor space, not to mention spoiling it with heat and noise.

I could buy a portable air conditioner which would do the job, but apparently they are noisy, need a hose through the window and expensive to run. What's more they are very drying which is never a good thing with acrylic paint.

After much research and many trips to the hardware store, plus some trial and error, I've got the solution. Yay! I purchased a swamp cooler. Some of you may never have heard of this machine, because it's pretty old technology and largely fazed out, but I managed to find a new one with ionizer/air cleaning technology and multi speed oscillating fan that can be wheeled from room to room.

Swampy likes to drink, but only clean water. You fill his belly with water and it is drawn up by a filter so the fan cools the air as it passes over. The surrounding area is cooled by 10 degrees Centigrade or more in Fahrenheit. Best yet, in our desert climate, it adds a touch of moisture to the air which not only extends the drying time of acrylic paint, but does wonders for your complexion. Swampy also likes to breathe, so leaving my window or door slightly open suits my love of fresh air and I don't feel trapped inside.

I've tested this miracle worker on several hot days and he really does knock the nastiness out of the heat, with limited noise pollution. Best yet, he only inhabits 1 sq ft of floor space and uses the same energy as a regular light bulb. I can see life is going to be much easier in the studio this summer.

My friend Swampys professional name is ECO AIR COOLER by Floater Imports. But I'm sure there are other makes available which would do the same job.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.