Wednesday 8 July 2015

SUNSET LAKE - The importance of surfaces

SUNSET LAKE
By Sea Dean
Canson Arches Board
4" x 10"

Available at Daily Paintworks

I haven't painted anything on Canson Arches for a while and it's a surface I enjoy for my pet portraits. We are in the middle of a heat wave and I was painting in the heat of the afternoon, so I chose my Atelier Interactive acrylics. Although just as susceptible to fast drying in high temperatures, they can be reactivated with a light mist of water.

Although I coated the surface to alleviaate some of the drying qualities, I was surprised at how fast the paints were drying. When I lightly sprayed to reactivate the paint, I found it was left a spattered texture. I quite liked the effect, so I went with it. I always find it quite challenging to create very light and very dark values with interactive paint, but I eventually got the foreground dark enough to highlight the light in the clouds.

Another thing I rediscovered was to put a black mat surface behind the painting when photographing. it works wonders.

After I had finished this painting I decided to see the difference between Canson Arches and working on stretched canvas with the same external temperature. More on this second painting in a few days.

VIew my online Gallery of large works and Limited Editions at ARTFINDER
View my online Gallery of small works at DAILY PAINTWORKS
Shop for Limited Edition ACEO and printed products here
Art Cards $5 and Art Postcards $3 here

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.