Wednesday 4 November 2015

DO COOL PAINTINGS SELL BETTER IN SUMMER AND WARM PAINTINGS SELL BETTER IN WINTER?


Have you ever studied the seasonal trends in your art sales?

I've been a contributing artist at Daily Paintworks for several years and I've noticed trends in the subject matter of the group, but I'm not sure if that relates to sales or availability of subject matter. From spring through to fall artists tend to paint whatever is flowering at the time. Waves of Daffodils, Tulips, Lilacs, Apple and Cherry Blossom, Hydrangeas, Wisteria and Roses flow through the seasons followed by a deluge of fall colour. Many artists then move on to snowy landscapes but often say they don't sell.

In the past I've blogged that to sell winter scenes, you have to include large helpings of warm tones and a touch of life. I also have a theory that it may be easier to sell cool toned paintings in mid summer when we are hot and dreaming of shady lakes. When putting together my latest submissions I found myself being quite aware of warm and cool tones and selected a balance of the two, or if I was just submitting one or two paintings I tended towards a warm palette. Perhaps, in the future, I will pay more attention to choosing my warm and cool tones according to the season I will be exhibiting them in.



This painting, RADIATE II is available at Daily Paintworks in this black frame. If you prefer to purchase it without a frame as a narrow gallery wrap canvas, I will deduct $25. Contact me for a frameless invoice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.