Friday 6 November 2015

LARGE RED HORSE - Studying Franz Marc


LARGE RED HORSE
6" x 10" Sketch on 12" x 12" Sheet
by Sea Dean after Franz Marc
Oil Pastel on 140lb Aquarelle
(currently on auction)


LARGE RED HORSES by Franz Marc

THE SYMBOLISM OF RED IN FRANZ MARCS WORK

Click on the link above and see what Marc had to say about the colours in this painting.

I often used the energy of complimentary colours in my work but I love what Marc said about the calming force of blue. Although red is an attention seeking colour and often makes buyers stop to consider a purchase, it is very overpowering. I've heard art lovers comment that brilliant red is difficult to live with, but I believe that it's all in the moderation. The smattering of blue in Marcs "Large Red Horses" moderates the other brilliant colours enough to make a more pleasing work of art.

This painting has a strong pyramid composition complimented with diagonal lines and strong outlines. The combination of  deftly placed colour and strong composition make this painting a masterpiece that any millionaire would be proud to own.

My sketch was not intended to be a copy of Marcs famous work, but an exploration of his use of line and colour. I am tempted to go in and add some cobalt and brilliant purple, but I do love the sketchy quality of this work. It is currently on auction and the buyer can choose if he or she would like me to embellish a bit more.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.