Saturday 14 November 2015

FAMOUS ARTIST BIRTHDAY - GEORGIA O'KEEFE

GEORGIA O' KEEFE

Georgia Totto O'Keeffe (November 15, 1887 – March 6, 1986) was an American artist. She is best known for her paintings of enlarged flowers, New York skyscrapers, and New Mexico landscapes. O'Keeffe has been recognized as the "Mother of American modernism


When I first started painting full time I wanted to be a landscape painter. I had no desire to paint flowers and didn't even think I could. But then I was asked to show my work at a garden tour and the requirement was that I had to show some floral paintings. So I taught myself how to observe and paint flowers.








The first flower I painted was GAIA ENERGY, above, which is still one of my favourite paintings and surprisingly has not yet sold.

I then created a series of floral miniature masterpieces on 6" x 6" Gallery Wrap Canvases. A year later I was painting teeny tiny ACEO florals. And the next year I painted some large Calla Lilies. All this I did without studying Georgia O'Keefe's florals.

As O'Keefe was an American artist I had never studied her in Art History class, and although I knew her name, I had seen very few of her paintings in my lifetime. In fact I was more influenced by a good friend of mine, Cyndee Banister, who paints magnificent giant flowers picked from her garden.





As an outsider, I would say that the most iconic of Georgias works would be one of her skull paintings, purely because they speak of her sense of place, but I believe that most people think of flowers when they think of Georgia O'Keefe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.