Sunday 24 April 2016

100 Day Project - RED CABBAGE - Plein Air Group


#100
RED CABBAGE
6" x 6" - 200 gsm Acid and Lignin Free Card
White ground with Magenta and Deep Violet



I want to experiment with texture and abstract painting and one of the ways I get ideas is from nature. I've always loved close up shots of every day things, so I will be working with that over the 100 day period. I am not restricted to abstract though, I hope to do some Plein Air sketching in various mediums, so watch this space. I want to keep my focus on drawing rather than painting for this challenge. I will also create new paintings over and above the 100 drawing commitment and blog about them alongside my regular tips and art history days.

100 Drawings 100 Days
I will auction each of the 100 drawings for 3 days. If unsold they will move to my Artfinder shop for the regular price.

 The inspiration

"If creativity is a habit, then the best creativity is the result of good work habits. They are the nuts and bolts of dreaming." -- Twyla Tharp, The Creative Habit

I was introduced to this concept by fabulous artist Kim Rempel. Here is her blog.

How do you start?
Decide to do a 100 day project. Pick a start date -- and an end date 100 days later. Then do one thing a day for 100 days (mornings are especially good).

Do something quick, creative, and do it without fear. Don't think too much, or better yet, don't think at all! See where it leads. Hang the pieces up in your house -- watch them grow!

The project then takes on a life of its own. That's it in a nutshell!

Like Kim, I've decided to create an ink drawing, watercolor or acrylic sketch each day for 100 days. I've added the twist that I will do this as often as I can in the park near my house and I will also walk around the perimeter of the park each day, preferably in the morning. I've been saying I'm going to do this ever since I moved here, but I haven't done it even once. With our beautiful spring weather and the spectacular public park virtually next door, there are really no excuses. Sometimes I may venture further afield to some of the other amazing parks in our area.

This will help me prepare for the Opus Outdoor Painting Competition on May 15th, as well as form the habit of nature walks.


I have no idea what I will draw or which direction the artworks will go, but I will have them for sale at a very reasonable cost. If you love something please contact me and I'll put one by, or you can buy them at the one time only 3 day auction which starts the day I blog.

If you live near Ben Lee Park, Kelowna, which is vaguely near Costco, you are welcome to join me for the walk or for some plein air work. Just contact me the day before and we can T up a time. Below is an idea on what to bring for your particular media.

PACKING FOR PLEIN AIR SUCCESS

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.