Thursday 21 July 2016

FAMOUS ARTIST BIRTHDAY - ALEXANDER CALDER

I'm very much steeped in the painting world at the moment, but I always call myself a Renaissance Woman. What I mean by that is I can turn my hand to any craft, fine art, or mechanical job. At art school I had a hard time deciding whether to specialize in graphic design, fashion, photography or metalwork and I finally plumped for metalwork.

My artist retrospective would include Oil, acrylic, watercolor painting, pottery, photography, print making, fashion, clay modelling, sculpture, weaving, rug making, applique, collage, jewellery, carving, quilting, illustration, mosaic, macrame, crochet, etc. etc. Then there are inventions, poetry, copy writing, public speaking, teaching, blogging and books. Being such a multi faceted person has it's good and it's bad points, one downside is being criticized for lack of focus and spreading myself too thin. 

I feel justified in my pursuit of all things artistic when I see an artist like Alexander Calder or Picasso that excelled in many media and made it through all the criticism.


ALEXANDER CALDER (August 22, 1898 – November 11, 1976) was an American sculptor known as the originator of the mobile, a type of moving sculpture made with delicately balanced or suspended shapes that move in response to touch or air currents.

He also created graphics, oil paintings, jewelery, wire sculptures, wood carvings, monumental sculptures, toys, wall sculptures, works on paper, found object sculptures and unique projects.

Alexander Calder Wikepedia
Alexander Calder on Pinterest
Calder Foundation - Not the easiest site to navigate but find his work is under "Calder's Work" - "Category" - "Explore Works" - then click on each work individually to magnify and X to close.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.