Thursday 5 January 2017

ALL ABOUT PANELS AND CRADLES TO PAINT ON

BIRCHES
iPad drawing by Sea Dean
8" x 10" Limited Edition
Glossy print ready to frame $39
Glossy print mounted on Russian Birch Cradle $69



When I started painting for Skyway at Kelowna Airport I gave a lot of thought to size and durability of the paintings. Recently I spoke with the buyer for the entire airport and he said that as a rule the customer wants to just tuck the painting under their arm and run for their plane. Then it gets placed under the seat or in the overhead compartment, goes through possible turblance and luggage shifting,  plus several possible plane changes, so it really needs to be strong.
SWAC SKYWAY KIOSK
I'm happy I made the choice early on to paint on top quality Russian Birch cradles from our local art supply shop, but they are expensive. (You an see them in these images of my work) After the above conversation and because I'm concerned about the archival longevity of my work, I decided to do a bit more research to see if I could make my own archival panels or cradles to keep my prices competitive.
  

Luckily, when I Googled I found that another artist had already written extensive notes on the subject. Sadly, he didn't put his name, but as the website is called lewcox.com, I assume his name is Lew Cox. I've entitled this "all about" because it will probably take you several sittings and c ups of coffee to wade through this well researched information. It's worth it though. Click here

Posted # 4

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.