Wednesday 1 February 2017

BLOSSOMING


BLOSSOMING

24" x 24" Deep Gallery Wrap Canvas
By Sea Dean and Tammie O'Rielly

This is a collaboration for this years' Intergenerational Exhibition. This exhibition is a non- juried event, so I rounded up an art loving friend who had not created a painting before and encouraged her to give it a go. Tammie said she had no talent, but working together I think we created art fit for any modern gallery.

It is such an inspiration to work with beginners. I started by showing Tammie a collection of abstract paintings and we talked about effects we liked in them. Then I guided my friend through some colour theory techniques and selecting a limited palette. I explained a few basic composition tips and we got started.




Tammie had chosen one of my small abstracts for inspiration and we started to paint, building up layers of our three main colours, adding tissue and acrylic skins and finally letting loose on the leafy effect with palette knives. Although I did some of the painting to demonstrate various techniques, Tammie did more than 50% and thoroughly enjoyed herself. My job was mainly to tweak the composition with a few additions and add archival coating. We painted on flat gessoed canvas which I later adhered to a deep gallery wrap canvas. This is a freely paints botanical abstract with deep texture and bold color.

The painting will be on exhibit  March 1st - April 1st 2017

Lake Country Art Gallery
Bottom Wood Lake Road
Lake Country, B. C. Canada
Wed - Fri 10 - 4

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.