Saturday 4 February 2017

THEFT, STOLEN ART - Rod Charlesworth - Island Vista




There are two kinds of art theft and both hurt the artist and/or owner of the work.

The first is in epidemic proportions in the art world, breaching copyright by copying another artists' work in order to sell for financial gain. This can be in the form of grabbing images off the internet and printing them, or it can be painting a copy of a copyrighted work. Both are dishonest, unlawful and subject to prosecution.

The second is physically stealing a painting from a home, office, shop, exhibition or gallery. I've been watching a program on PBS called "The Art of the Heist" and it jogged my memory about art that was stolen from me. I share this in the hope that someone knows something. It's not just the financial loss that hurts, it's the violation and the unresolved mystery.

The first painting is one that I bid on in a charity auction and I was the highest bidder.  The painting is "Island Vista" a professionally framed, 9" x 12" oil painting by well known B.C. Artist, Rod Charlesworth. I loved the painting and was thrilled to add it to my collection, but I was returning to art as a profession and decided to sell the painting to buy supplies for my studio. I did my research and consigned the painting to a reputable and well established art dealer Marlowe Goring, who owned a gallery in Qualicum Beach called Qualicum Frameworks.

Island View by Rod Charlesworth as it was framed when consigned
Qualicum Frameworks
673 Fir Street
Qualicum Beach, B.C., V9K 1T2
Marlowe@qualicumframeworks.com
(250)752-7350

Later while I was trying to recover my art he moved to a new location

Art Worx
701 Primrose Street,
Qualicum Beach, B.C. V9K 1T2
(250)752-7350?
Artworxgallery@shaw.ca

To cut a long and involved story short, Mr Goring over extended himself and did a disappearing act one night, along with all the consigned art in his gallery. I emphasize that this art was CONSIGNED, which means he did not own it and it should not have been included in any receivership. That was the last I saw of  him, my Charlesworth and the $1,200 asking price.

If anyone knows anything about the whereabouts of Mr Marlowe Goring, or the stolen Rod Charlesworth painting "Island View" please contact me. I would be happy to offer a reward.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.