Friday 28 April 2017

Online Art sales - Where are we heading? - Native Dancer

Native Dancer by Sea Dean 


When I first returned to fine art in 2010, I had to rebuild my reputation as a serious artist. I had a track record of sales in the UK, but it was many years previous. There was a lead time of up to a year for exhibiting in local exhibitions and shows and I needed an immediate outlet, so I experimented with selling my work online.

I did my research and chose Daily Paintworks because they were turning over art at a good pace which would give me a chance to practise and experiment. At the time I also joined several other platforms, but none seemed to be as user freindly or active as DPW. DPW promotes mainly small works at low prices and I've outgrown it. Now I exhibit mainly on Artfinder, but I cant say that sales there or on any other platform I've tried recently are healthy.

As a professional artist I recognise that marketing is at least 75% of my job, so I keep my ears to the ground and when a respected report like Hiscox is published I pay attention. This years findings in the report back up my own findings in the online art world.

Hiscox shares their top five takeaways from this latest report:
  • Online art market sales reach $3.75 billion – up 15%.
  • Based on current growth, the report predicts the online art market to reach $9.14 billion by 2022.
  • Instagram takes over Facebook as the preferred social media platform for consumers to find and buy art. Just over half of art galleries surveyed said they find Instagram a more efficient marketing tool than Facebook.
  • Traditional art businesses dominate online due to their brick and mortar reputation. Online auctions Sotheby’s, Christie’s and Heritage Auctions generated combined online sales of $720 million in 2016, accounting for 19% of the online art market.
  • The conversion of online art buyers remains static for the third consecutive year, signaling that the online art market could be struggling to convbert sufficient numbers of hesitant art buyers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.