Saturday 8 July 2017

FAMOUS ARTIST BIRTHDAY - DAVID HOCKNEY


DAVID HOCKNEY OM CH RA (born 9 July 1937) is an English painter, draughtsman, printmaker, stage designer and photographer. An important contributor to the pop art movement of the 1960s, he is considered one of the most influential British artists of the 20th century. 

DAVID HOCKNEY IPAD WORKS

In December 1985, Hockney used the Quantel Paintbox, a computer program that allowed the artist to sketch directly onto the screen. Using the program was similar to drawing on the PET film for prints, with which he had much experience. The resulting work was featured in a BBC series that profiled a number of artists.

Since 2009, Hockney has painted hundreds of portraits, still lifes and landscapes using the Brushes iPhone and iPad application, often sending them to his friends. 

Sea says "I'm not so fancy, I use the limited app that comes with iPad "notes". I must say though that it's very addictive. Lately I must have my iPad drawing fix every day and for someone that was criticized for not having enough drawing in my portfolio, I think that's pretty fantastic."

Hockneys show "Fleurs fraîches" (Fresh flowers) was held at La Fondation Pierre Bergé in Paris. In 2011 a "Fresh-Flowers" exhibit opened at the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto, featuring more than 100 of his drawings on 25 iPads and 20 iPods. In late 2011, Hockney revisited California to paint Yosemite National Park on his iPad. For the season 2012–2013 in the Vienna State Opera he designed, a large scale picture (176 sqm) on his iPad, as part of the exhibition series Safety Curtain, conceived by Museum in Progress.

"Strangely, I don't ever remember studying his work before. Of course I knew the name and had a vague idea that he was gay and either British or American. I also had a residual memory of swimming pool paintings and water.

When I started my iPad drawing journey, many people I spoke to pointed out that David Hockney was now almost exclusively using his ipad. I was excited by that, but in my usual independent way I didn't want to be influenced by his style and avoided looking for them. 

Now I'm starting to develop my own iPad drawing style it's safe to sneak a peek at Hockneys iPad work. Wow! Wonderful stuff.

And one of my latest iPad abstracts available as a limited edition 8" x 10" canvas print by contacting me here."



And I can't resist sharing one of my latest pool images with a nod to David Hockney.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.