Thursday 7 September 2017

Moonglow - Art Walk - 8/30

MOONGLOW
12" x 36" Deep Gallery Wrap Canvas
3D Clear Collage, iridescent and interference paint, stars and glitter
$325

The call for this exhibition is "Are we there yet?" Canadian Roadside Attractions. I went through many ideas and settled on the Horseshoe Falls at Niagra and the Northern Lights. The exhibition is at Lake Country Art Gallery from August 30th to September 30th, however, it is also part of Art Walk, "Colour me Canada" which runs the weekend of September 9th and 10th. Art Walk is the largest show in the interior of B.C. and buyers come from all over Western Canada to attend. I was pleased that the curator chose to hang my painting in a prominant position that allows the light to dance on the iridescent and sparkle areas.


This project wasn't an easy birth due to the tall format; it was difficult to give both the night sky and the falls presence without cutting the painting in half horizontally. In the end I settled for slight dominance of the sky.

There are some progress shots below and as you see, I painted the sky several times before I was happy, finally settling on fabric collage and transparent paint. It includes a dusting of stars, multi colored aurora and three definable constellations taken from winter star charts, Cassiopia, Ursa Major and Ursa Minor. The moon is full and is the only unmodified Titanium White on the canvas, creating one of those magical moments where things seem to glow from inside.

The lower part of the painting is clear texture up to 1" deep depicting the crashing water and there are liberal helpings of iridescent, metallic and sparkle paint.


This painting is so unique that it should be seen in person, but if you love it, I can put it on hold and ship it after the exhibition closes on September 30th.


I'm one of the artists taking part in the Leslie Saeta 30 paintings in 30 days challenge. This is the ninth time Leslie has held this event and I've taken part in each one. This is # eight of the thirty I plan to complete by September 30th.

I love the energy of the challenge and that it inspires me to create new work each day. I finished and submitted this painting just before the challenge started, but Leslie allows painting a few works in advance to spur momentum.

See all the Challenge Artists Work here

I'm at #6

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.