Thursday 1 February 2018

Mount McKinley - Bob Ross in Acrylic 1-2 - #30in30 - 2




The last time I painted along with Bob Ross, I chose to do so in acrylic. I had painted with gouache, watercolor and oil, but never acrylic. I chose acrylics for their simple clean up and less odor in my small unit. However, I had trouble learning to paint with acrylics, struggling with fast drying time and the color change when dry. I had no idea it was so different to oil painting: Don't believe any instructor that tells you it’s the same. I was determined to master acrylics and thankfully I’ve learned a lot since then.



Bob Ross was an oil painter and he painted alla prima, wet in wet. It’s a challenge to keep acrylics wet long enough to use his technique, but there are solutions. Bob uses something he calls “magic white” or “liquid white” as a base. I’m not sure what the formula is, but picking up white from this liquid base lightens his mixes, so it is an important step. In order to mimic this layer I first tried using slow drying medium, but quickly realised it was clear, not white. Then I tried Zinc White mixed with slow drying medium, which was better, but thick and gummy, not like the slick liquid base Bob uses. I still had to mist lightly to keep it slick, but it was a fair substitute. I liked that it added thick texture you could scratch into for branches and tree trunks.

This painting is the second of thirty for the 30 in 30 challenge. I painted along with Bob Ross Series 1 Episode 2 Mount McKinley. I am adapting Bobs work to my local landscapes and my style, so I’m calling this MOUNTAINS It can be purchased here.

Bob Ross Series 1 Episode 2 Mount McKinley

30 in 30 - #2

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.