Wednesday 31 January 2018

A Walk in the Woods - Bob Ross in Acrylic 1-1 - #30in30 - 1




As Leslie suggests, I painted a couple in advance. Both are on auction.



This is so cool! for the 10th “Leslie Saeta 30 Paintings in 30 Days” challenge, I’ve chosen to paint along with Bob Ross, teacher and insprational human being extraordinaire.

When I was suffering from depression after the deaths of my father and two close friends, it was watching one of the TV paint along shows by Bob Ross, that pulled me out of it. Now I’m a busy professional acrylic artist, but back then, like so many others, my painting experience was limited to school and a few night school lessons.

Apparently Bob Ross created 403 episodes, the last one shortly before his death from cancer in 1995. The series ran for 11 seasons from 1984 - 1995, hence the over the top hairdo. He painted “happy little clouds”,little cabins, landscapes where trees “lived” and “almighty mountains” for all to enjoy. In the process he inspired millions to give it a go.

I don’t intend to copy Bob’s paintings because we use different paint and have different styles. I also want to create paintings that will be popular in my locale, which has softer mountains and fewer conifers. However, I’ve always been interested in Bob’s simple techniques, his large brushes and easy style, so I am looking forward to the practise.

I may paint a few larger paintings, but my intention is to paint on 8” x 10” canvas boards which are easy to mail and at $99, within most people’s budget. I’m not sure if I will follow the shows consecutively, although that would be an amazing journey, but I am open to commissions if you have a favorite Bob Ross painting. Commissions of course can be created in a size that suits your space.

....... So here goes.


Bob Ross Season 1 Episode 1

Bob Ross painted in oil and always listed his paint colors at the beginning of each video, however, Acrylics do not always go by the same name, so below are the colors I have used, mainly heavy body Liquitex with some Winsor and Newton and Amsterdam. He also insists on natural bristle brushes, but Acrylics usually work better with synthetic, I will try both. He uses a 2” and a 1” natural bristle and a large, firm, metal angle palette knife.

Titanium White (Opus Essential), Phthalocyanine Green (blue shade), Prussian Blue Hue, Sap Green Permanent (L and WN), Cadmium Yellow Medium Hue, Alizarin Crimson Hue Permanent, Pyrole Red (Golden Open), Van Dyck Brown (Amsterdam). Bob uses the same palette for all his paintings in series 1. I may switch brands and texture until I find equivalents that work in acrylic.


30 in 30 - posted # 7

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.