Sunday 25 February 2018

Secluded Forest - Bob Ross in Acrylic S6 E5 - #30in30 - 26




I did some progress shots on this one from Season 6. Bob started with a black canvas, but I don’t think that works well with acrylic so I made a base of watery Pthalo Blue and Sap Green which were the colors Bob laid over the top of the black gesso. I kept the acrylic wet with a fine water mist and tried to follow Bob as best I could.

Some lovely things started to happen around shot #3 and I think #4 was my favorite. By the time Bob painted in the water, my painting was getting very gooey. Shot #5 was in studio light and shot #6 in daylight. There were a lot of things about this painting I liked but the interesting paint mixes were mind blowing, especially the lovely highlight mix of Titanium White, Alizarin Crimson and Pyrole Red. I think I may repeat this painting to explore the color combination more thoroughly.


All my 9” x 12” Bob Ross series are painted on Daler Rowney Acrylic Paper. Because of the large amount of paint used, they are quite robust, but I photograph them before they are completely dry, so they have a tendency to shine and curl around the edge. I admit they would look better scanned or mounted, but they would need to dry well before I could do that.

Video - Secluded Forest - Bob Ross Season 6 Episode 5

Posted as #5 on 30 paintings in 30 days blog

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.