Tuesday 18 September 2018

#30in30 - Day 17 and Day 18 - Spirit of the Falls


This is part of a large painting I’m working on. The texture here is silver leaf with multiple glazes of opaque, interference and irridescent Acrylics. I’ve tried the special glue for leafing, but I much prefer gels and mediums depending on the surface I need it to adhere to. Golden Gloss Soft Gel is particularly useful. It takes a very light touch, but I apply the gel, then pick up whole sheets of leaf, tear it and gently waft it into place. I then use a brush to manipulate and push it onto the gel. Later I go back and coat with gloss gel. Matte gel doesn’t work well over the leafing becaus it is slightly opaque, although it does give a different effect. Experimentation is the key here.

The larger chunks on the bottom are dried gloss gel broken up and applied with more gloss gel. I can’t remember which gloss gel this was, but possibly Liquitex and it has a slightly yellowed look which I’m not keen on. Below is another section I’m working on with more iridescent and interference acrylics; I love them, but sooooo difficult to photograph. This painting is not co-operating and is time consuming, so I will publish different sections each day on the 30in30 blog.



Click here to see hundreds of artists work on the challenge. It’s amazing what some can do in a day.

https://www.saetastudio.com/september-2018-30-in-30-paintings

TIP - Click on the images you like and it usually takes you to the artist’s own website so you can see more of their work, or for the more organized, to a page where you can buy them. I’m just happy o get it posted without missing a day:)

Check out what’s on sale at Artfinder this week, here. artfinder.com/sea-dean

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.