Monday 18 February 2019

Collaboration request - Have your say


Here is your chance to have input in an art project I am exhibiting in a weeks time. I am searching for great art quotations. The piece must be short (about 10 words) and connected to art in some way. The speaker must be an artist or connected to art ... an actor, painter, writer, musician etc. 

Here are some examples. Enjoy!


SHORT ART QUOTES
A
*The aim of art is to represent not the outward appearance of things, but their inward significance. Aristotle

Sometimes with art, it is important just to look. Marina Abramović

B
*Art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable. Banksy
*I just wanna make the world a better-looking place. If you don’t like it, you can paint over it! Banksy

*An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

C
I paint with shapes. Alexander Calder

*The sky is the source of light in Nature and it governs everything. John Constable

*He has no talent at all, that boy! You, who are his friend, tell him, please, to give up painting. Edouard Manet to Claude Monet, on August Renoir

In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different. Coco Chanel

*Success is the ability of going from one failure to another without loss of enthusiasm. Winston Churchill

*The creative process is a process of surrender, not control. Julia Cameron

*A true masterpiece does not tell everything. Albert Camus

D
Simplicity is the greatest adornment of art. Albrecht Durer

*Art is not what you see, but what you make others see. Edgar Degas

*Art is never finished, only abandoned. Leonardo da Vinci
Art lives from constraints. Leonardo da Vinci
The painter has the Universe in his mind and hands. Leonardo da Vinci
*The artist sees what others only catch a glimpse of. Leonardo da Vinci

*Beauty will save the world. Dostoevsky

*Life is too short to remain unnoticed. Salvador Dalí
*I shall be so brief that I have already finished. Salvador Dalí

E
Process is not magic. Charles Eames

*If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it. Albert Einstein
*Creativity is contagious. Pass it on. Albert Einstein
*Imagination is more important than knowledge. Albert Einstein
*Art is the expression of the profoundest thoughts. Albert Einstein

I’d like to think I inspire young people to be creative. Tracey Emin

F
The only secret I can claim to have is concentration. Lucien Freud

G
*There is some mysterious process at work here. Philip Guston

*I shut my eyes in order to see. Paul Gauguin

*Art is a collaboration between God and the artist, and the less the artist does the better. Andre Gide

H
I rarely draw what I see, I draw what I feel in my body Barbara Hepworth

*I will paint for money any time. Winslow Homer

*When I am eighty I shall have developed still further, and I will really master the secrets of art at ninety. Hokusai

*If I could say it in words there would be no reason to paint. Edward Hopper

*Art is not a thing, it is a way. Elbert Hubbard

I’m always excited by the unlikely, never by ordinary things. David Hockney

A picture is a poem without words. Horace

I

J
When I started writing about art, there were no curators. Waldemar Januszczak

Find your star and throw it up to heaven. Michael Jackson

K
*I am happy to be alive as long as I can paint. Frida Kahlo

*There is no must in art because art is free. Wassily Kandinsky
*Color is a power which directly influences the soul. Wassily Kandinsky
*Everything starts from a dot. Wassily Kandinsky

*Art is a line around your thoughts. Gustav Klimt

L
All we are saying is give peace a chance. John Lennon

M
*To be an artist is to believe in life. Henry Moore

*Creativity takes courage. Henri Matisse
*There are always flowers for those who want to see them. Henri Matisse
*The essential thing is to work in a state of mind that approaches prayer. Henri Matisse
*I’ve been forty years discovering that the queen of all colors is black. Henri Matisse

Art is nothing but the expression of our dream. Franz Marc

*A primitive artist is an amateur whose work sells. Grandma Moses
*People should take time to be happy. Grandma Moses

*An artist discovers his genius the day he dares not to please. Andre Malraux

*If only I’d known my differentness would be an asset, then my earlier life would have been much easier. Bette Midler

*I am still learning. Michelangelo

*I would like to paint the way a bird sings. Claude Monet
*Color is my day-long obsession, joy and torment. Claude Monet
*I must have flowers, always, and always. Claude Monet

*I am my own experiment. I am my own work of art. Madonna

To gain freedom is to gain simplicity. Joan Miro

We are all of us stars and we all deserve to twinkle. Marilyn Munroe

N
*You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star. Friedrich Nietzsche

O
*I decided that if I could paint that flower in a huge scale, you could not ignore its beauty. Georgia O’Keeffe
*To create one’s own world takes courage. Georgia O’Keeffe

P
*Art is coming face to face with yourself. Jackson Pollock
My painting does not come from my easel. Jackson pollock

*Art is the elimination of the unnecessary. Pablo Picasso
*There is no abstract art. You must always start with something. Afterward you can remove all traces of reality. Pablo Picasso
Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. Pablo Picasso
*Bad artists copy. Good artists steal. Pablo Picasso

*Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing. Camille Pissarro
It is absurd to look for perfection. Camille Pissarro

*Painting is silent poetry. Plutarch

Intensity is all that matters in painting. John Piper

Q

R
I choose a block of marble and chop off what I don’t need. Augusto Rodin

Artists are the most important people in the world. Gerhardt Richter

*All critics should be assassinated. Man Ray

*If a picture wasn’t going well, I’d put a puppy in it. Norman Rockwell
*I’ll never have enough time to paint all the pictures I’d like to. Norman Rockwell

*Look around. Look at what we have. Beauty is everywhere – you only have to look to see it. Bob Ross
*Let’s get a little crazy here. Bob Ross
*We don’t make mistakes. We just have happy accidents. Bob Ross
*You need the dark in order to show the light. Bob Ross

*Choose only one master – Nature. Rembrandt

S
*Be not afraid of greatness. William Shakespeare

T
*It’s not what you look at that matters, it’s what you see. Henry David Thoreau

*I have no secret but hard work. WilliamTurner

*Art is the only way to run away without leaving home. Twyla Tharp
*Art is the only way to run away without leaving home. Twyla Tharp

I don’t have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit. Elizabeth Taylor

U

V
*Contrary to general belief, an artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs. Edgard Varese

*I dream of painting and then I paint my dream. Vincent Van Gogh
The great artist is the simplifier. Vincent Van Gogh
I am not an adventurer by choice but by fate. Vincent van Gogh

W
Art is what you can get away with. Andy Warhol
You know it’s art when the cheque clears. Andy Warhol
*Don’t think about making art… Andy Warhol

*An artist is not paid for his labor but for his vision. James Whistler

The longer I live, the more beautiful life becomes. Frank Lloyd Wright

X

Y

Z

*I would rather die of passion than of boredom. Emile Zola

4 comments:

  1. WOW, so many great ones!
    We don’t make mistakes. We just have happy accidents. Bob Ross
    *I’ll never have enough time to paint all the pictures I’d like to. Norman Rockwell
    *Painting is silent poetry. Plutarch
    *Color is my day-long obsession, joy and torment. Claude Monet
    *I must have flowers, always, and always. Claude Monet
    *Art is a collaboration between God and the artist, and the less the artist does the better. Andre Gide





    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are some of my favourites too. If you think of any new ones let me know.

      Delete

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.