Friday 21 June 2019

Coffee with Manet?

The question came up recently on Facebook, “Who is your dream painter? Who would you like to have coffee with?“




This was my reply.

Hmmm, whatever Leonardo had to say would go right over my head, Monet or Turner too annoyingly self opinionated and Michelangelo the same, Franz Marc would be off on a theory tangent, Vincent would have so much angst, Henry Moore my sculptor hero, Yes Sargeant but he’d be off hob knobbing, or ... It strikes me that the charming Edouard Manet would be most fun for coffee and French dainties in a little cafe I know near Notre Dame. But in truth a living artist like Kurt Jackson, David Hockney, Jeff Koons or even local star Robert Dow Reid would be most productive.”



Also, “Definitely not Frida, I’m working on a series and a large commission portrait of her, so I have coffee with her every day.”



In my usual manner I studied what others had replied..... Popular were the Impressionists, and other artists from the 19th Century, but I was pleased to see some old masters and even more pleased to see some from the 20th Century and the last 20 years. Even Bob Ross, got a mention, some say the Mr Rogers of art. 

Monet and Van Gogh are favorite choices in my classes. Artfinder are creating editorial collections of various masters so I’m working on adding my masterpiece studies to Artfinder in the hope they will be selected.


It’s interesting to see the growing list and even more interesting to see who didn’t get a mention.


Others in no particular order were...


Van Gogh,

Monet,

Dali,
Calder,
Hopper,
Degas,
Leonardo,
Constable,
Dali,
O’Keefe,
Winslow Homer,
Rockwell,
Frankenthaler (oh yes!),
Warhol,
Wyeth,
Pollock,
El Greco,
Vermeer,
Bonnard,
Ruskin,
Thomson,
Chagall,
Bateman,
Bob Ross,
Klimt,
Rembrandt,
Kandinsky,
Cassatt,
Frida,
Motherwell,
Mucha,
Morrisot,
Renoir,
Holbein the younger,
Holbein,
Kehinde Wiley,
The Group of Seven,

Some I have to check out (and also check the spellings) 

Dean Mitchell,

Sudi Manning,
George Innes,
Bev Doolittle,
Wolf Kahn,
Shirley Trevena,
Grace Lewis,
Grace Hartigan,
Charles Reid,
Lars Lerin,
Remedous Varo,
Joan Eardly,
Alexey Savcehnko,
Tamara de Lempicka,
Charles Burchfield,







1 comment:

  1. Set me off on a google search..... Enjoy your weekend Sea! I would like to have coffee with all of my internet artist friends. Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.