Sunday 14 July 2019

Frida Kahlo VII Sneak Peek

My summer by the lake is so mesmerising and at the same time so busy that I keep forgetting to post. Though I’m pretty sure it’s doing my work the world of good. The disconnect from my other world, the sunshine and the peaceful lapping of the waves, are all healing to the soul.

For those that know I care for my mother full time, she’s doing well, but slowing down considerably. I’m also learning to listen to my own ageing body and rest more. Occasionally I even get an uninterupted seven hours sleep. Bliss!

As I write, it occurs to me that like many other families we are feminizing. By that I mean there is little male influence or input. With my father, my partner and my sisters’ partner all gone, the sole representative of the male sector in our little group is my nephew, who, being involved in music, doesn’t exude heaps of testosterone. It therefore seems completely natural that I should be deeply involved in my Frida Kahlo series.

I am currently working on a large 36” x 60” commission of Frida, which is the seventh in the series and the second commission. The patron, also female, has several challenging requests, not the least of which is fitting a portrait into a large landscape format. It’s still under wraps and going well, but its taking it’s time. As most images of Frida are square on to the camera and compositionally I need her slightly turned, I’m having to make up features as I go. After all I can’t just phone her up for a sitting!

Here are a few teasers until I can release the WIP series.



2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the commission. It sounds very challenging but interesting.

    In contrast to yours, my world is masculine. As well as my husband, I have my two sons, two brothers and two nephews. Just myself and granddaughter on the feminine side. Life works out strange sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you Sea, I know you will conquer and it will be fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.