Monday 17 February 2020

DAY 18 of 30 - BEE LODGE (Final)

BEE LODGE (Final version) Mixed Media 7.5 x 5 inches by Sea Dean

Something was bothering me about this bee house so I left it and kept looking until I realized, as so often is the case, that the copper iridescent paint was more or less the same tone as the background and looking a bit blah. I quickly outlined with my new best friend, a Molotow fine black paint pen and voila, now it pops. I also added more black and copper stripes to the bees so they look more real.

Another thing bothering me was that the roof was too bright, so I added more crackle fluid, waited for it to dry and then painted with a creamier antique white. My theory that it would crack down the same lines as the layer below worked. Now I like it much more and can declare it done.

Add caption

I read an interesting article by Sherwyn Williams about hanging your art on the right color walls. I have a feature white wall at home that just doesn't show art well, the taupe walls are much better. Also my community gallery uses a very pale grey. However my Mum had mid to dark grey feature walls in her apartment and everything showed really well on them.

Creating the perfect backdrop for your art


30DCG2020  and ODP

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.