Tuesday 25 February 2020

DAY 26 of 30 - Prep for Nests

Today I spent some time doing prep for some nests. 

The top image is a circular canvas prepped with a crackle surface. Crackle is not easy, being a combination of the chosen surface, type of crackle, type of underpaint, type of overpaint, thickness of application, type of application (brush, roller, spray) thickness of application and just sheer luck. Each different combination produces a different result and there are thousands of possibilities. 

Once you know what you’re doing, you can make choices, but never totally control the outcome. I’m getting better at it and having the pressure of a challenge forced me to figure it out once and for all. I like the way this is going.




This is a cast metal tree I’m repurposing for a nest stand. I will have to make the nest about 3 or 4 inches to fit in the crook, but I think it will look great when done. I try not to repurpose cast and wrought metal because its heavy to ship, but this piece was too special to go to the landfill. PS thats the fireplace behind which I redesigned last summer, right on trend.


One of the other pieces I worked on is a chateau chic candle stand which I’m also repurposing for a nest stand. I’ve used three different colored but similar chalk paints and left some of the raw dark wood exposed on the inner section to enhance the amazing hand carving done by the previous artisan.  Its gonna be hard to let this one go.

30DCG2020  and ODP

1 comment:

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.