Saturday 10 August 2013

THREE CLICKS and HOW MANY CLICKS IS A BUYER WILLING TO MAKE TO BUY YOUR ART?



THREE CLICKS
ORIGINAL BY SEA DEAN
8" x 6" on Windpower
On Auction at Daily Paintworks

To view my Gallery or purchase this painting please visit Daily Paintworks. Larger originals in the same series or prints may be available by contacting me. 


I was in the mood for an abstract and opted for aMONDRIAN style. This was a horribly difficult painting to photograph, and I'm very curious to see how it will scan, but some parts are going to take time to dry before I attempt it. The best colour representation turned out to be the photo with the flash reflection, but as you can see in the second image, this is not there in reality. This painting can be displayed whichever way you see fit, although I prefer it in portrait.

There are both intense, soft, transparent and opaque paints here as well and it's impossible to convey the subtlety of the correlations. Although it seems haphazard, there was a master plan in the arrangement. The lines which appear black are actually my favourite MATISSE INDIGO which is rich, velvety and bold. There are both iridescent bronze and interference violet, neither of which will ever show well in reproduction. This is truly one which must be seen. And continuing with my magnanimous weekend, I will start the auction at the ridiculous price of $1.



HOW MANY CLICKS IS A BUYER WILLING TO MAKE TO BUY YOUR ART?

There is much discussion on the internet between Artists on either side of the fence about putting prices on their internet websites. I have to share a recent personal experience which illustrates my stance on the matter.

CLICK 1 - I receive many blogs from fellow Artists in my email. These are Artists I have chosen to follow because they are friends, I like the work, I like sharing in their process etc. This morning I received one of those blogs from an Artist who explores many aspects of painting including composition, colour, and substrate. I very much enjoy the blog, but I've never been clear if the work is for sale or just illustration of the process. There are no prices on the emails I receive.

CLICK 2 - Today I liked the painting a lot and clicked onto the main blog to find out if it was for sale. No prices on the main blog, but a pale coloured button at the top invited me to click Website/Sales. 

CLICK 3 - I clicked and was presented with another page with a link to a website. 

CLICK 4 - Getting a little ticked off I clicked again and found myself on a website where the Art was divided into type. 

CLICKS 5, 6 and 7 - I wandered around a bit trying to find the slot for the piece I like. No luck!

CLICK 8 - I went back to the blog and left a comment asking if the piece was for sale. One may say that by this point my enthusiasm had cooled. 

CLICK 9 - I did receive a reply quite quickly from the Artist, but by this time I was onto the analysis part of purchasing and it was no longer an impulse buy. I had noticed that the work was not painted on acid free substrate which would mean that over time the acid in the base would affect the quality of the paint and I work too hard for my money to purchase Art that doesn't have permanence.

CLICK 10, 11, 12 + - If I now wanted to purchase the painting I would have to go back and forth some more with the Artist as in her reply email she still didn't supply me with a link to purchase.

I say all these things, not to criticize the Artist who is a free agent and makes her own choices; rather, I say them as an example of the Art buying process. 

What do you think?  HOW MANY CLICKS IS A BUYER WILLING TO MAKE TO BUY YOUR ART? I would be very interested in your opinions on this, whether you are an Artist or Art lover. Please leave a comment below.


Cat 13195

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.