Monday 23 September 2013

DAY 24 - 30 PAINTINGS IN 30 DAYS - BLOWING IN THE WIND


PHOTO OF PAINTING IN AFTERNOON LIGHT
BLOWING IN THE WIND
ORIGINAL BY SEA DEAN
3"  x 8"
On Strathmore Windpower

To view my Gallery or purchase this original please visit Daily Paintworks. Larger originals or prints may be available by contacting me.

I really feel a sense of achievement with this painting. The challenge this month on PAINT MY PHOTO is to choose two photos posted by members and combine them. One has to be a panoramic landscape and the second, a person. 

The landscape below has been finished and waiting for the figure for over a week. If you regularly read my blog you know I have a horror of formula painting and the "chocolate box" look. I dislike incidental figures plonked into the sweet spot just to satisfy compositional elements. I love my initial painting below just the way it is, so you can imagine, I had a terrible time getting over "spoiling it".


EMPTY LANDSCAPE BEFORE PLACING THE FIGURE

For over a week I've searched through hundred of photos trying to find just the right figure. I liked many by the ocean which of course didn't look right. There was a man playing golf, but he was putting and I felt this landscape needed a strong drive. Then there was the cliche man walking his dog Ug! I found hikers, cute children and all kinds of other figures but nothing seemed right. This morning I was determined to complete the challenge and settled for a leaping dancer. I sat down to paint and while I was getting ready, another photo I had selected caught my eye, it was one chosen for my portrait series and was taken close up. 

It occurred to me that my problem was that none of the selections were interesting enough and I'm a dynamic kinda gal. So this sweet little child with her dandelion clock became my figure and I'm so pleased I persevered. This is probably the first time that I have placed something in the foreground and thought the finished result an improvement on the background! Yay, what a great learning experience.


Cat 13235 Blowing in the Wind
Posted on 30 in 30 as number 18, 46, 48 trying to load this weird format and not delete X
Inspiration Photos by Marily and Carrie Layne Mashon

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.