Thursday 26 September 2013

DAY 27 - 30 PAINTINGS IN 30 DAYS - PEARLY SEASCAPE EXHIBTION PIECE

PHOTO OF PAINTING IN SOUTH MORNING LIGHT
PEARLY SEASCAPE  
ORIGINAL BY SEA DEAN
8"  x 10" x 3/4" Gallery Wrap Canvas 
3D painted sides (100 sq in painting)


To view my Gallery or purchase this original please visit Daily Paintworks. Larger originals or prints may be available by contacting me.

In the next few weeks I will be painting a few larger works for Christmas exhibitions. I send all my paintings to auction only once, so, if you're quick you can pick up a few early Christmas presents for a really good price at Daily Paintworks. I'm happy to bulk ship, so contact me for a joint shipping cost.

This is an 8" x 10" Gallery Wrap Canvas. Gallery Wrap is where the canvas wraps around the edge of the stretcher, but no nails or staples are visible on the sides. I continue the scene around the edge, so when you view it from the side it has a 3D effect and is quite dynamic. These paintings can be hung without framing so are very cost effective. They also look spectacular framed with the edge still showing.

PHOTO OF PAINTING IN LATE AFTERNOON LIGHT
Today I was set to paint a dog that I met in the park, but Julie Ford Oliver blogged a wonderful cup cake and inspired me. Julie paints in Oil and Watercolour and has developed a style called fracturing which she teaches here. To make it work best she recommends using a tool, so I've been collecting various items to use for a while. Today I took out my tools and gave it a go.

Acrylic paint has a tendency to flatten and suck onto the canvas. I use heavy body, top quality paint, but even so it requires more texture. Unlike Oil paint, In order to get a 3D effect, gel and texture must be added. I get impatient with all that faffing around and part way through this painting I picked up a palette knife and then a brush. I was enjoying the effect of varied and got quite carried away so I never got back to Julie's method. One day I'll try again with Oil paint, but in the meantime .....

The last photos show how I used "now you see it now you don't" secret interference pearl paint which shines only when it catches the light. I think this really captures the essence of the sun behind the clouds. 

DETAIL SHOWING PEARLY CLOUDS
PEARLY SEASCAPE is similar to my liquid acryilc painting, BLUE HORIZON, which was chosen as a pick of the day at Daily Paintworks about a year ago. It is similar subject matter, but quite different when compared. This is on a Gallery Wrap Canvas and the other is a Canvas Panel. The different substrate and acrylic paint give a markedly different effect.


PAINTING TIPPED TOWARDS LIGHT TO SHOW PEARL EFFECT (DETAIL)
It was my intention to add a large seagull in the sky, of PEARLY SEASCAPE, but I like it just the way it is. If you like it too, bid fast or it may end up with a bird or a sailboat before long.



Cat 13238 Pearly Seascape
30 in 30 post number ?
My own inspiration

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.