Saturday 11 January 2014

FAMOUS ARTIST BIRTHDAY - LADY IN LILAC by Sea Dean - FREE DRAW - 30 Paintings Day 12 - JOHN SINGER SARGENT – PORTRAIT PAINTER -

LADY IN LILAC  by Sea Dean
after Lady Agnew of Lochnaw by John Singer Sargent
4" x 4" Canvas Panel

Mini Master Series
Celebrating the birthdays of famous artists

To view my Gallery or purchase this painting please visit Daily Paintworks. Larger originals or prints may be available by contacting me. (sorry this photo is a bit fuzzy although the colour is pretty acurate - I'll try again in daylight)

Portrait at Wikipedia (although the colour isn't as strong as in my book)

My personal birthday gift last year was a beautiful coffee table book of John Singer Sargent paintings. It was a double gift because I found it in an Oxfam shop and the proceeds went to charity. Isn't that great? I enjoy shopping in thrift stores for things like books, china, glassware, frames, etc. It's way more interesting than going to a big box store, plus the prices are better and it helps people in need. 

A real win win.
 
SELF PORTRAIT 1906

JOHN SINGER SARGENT

Born in Florence, 12 January 1856 to American parents living in Europe. He studied at the Florence Academy and then under Carolus-Duran in Paris.

It is easy to see that an early influence of his was Diego Velasquez. This self-portrait by Sargent is a fine example of that. I probably love his work because in many ways it reminds me of Eduard Manet, my favourite Impressionist, who was also influenced by Velasquez.

In 1885 Sargent moved to London and found an impressively large studio where he painted many famous society beauties. He also traveled to the USA often to paint American celebrities. He was very prolific and his paintings can be seen in galleries and private collections around the world.

Sargent had bold but precise brushwork. He was a master of capturing light on skin and fabric. I particularly love his treatment of satin and silk.


18 April 1925 Died in London, UK aged 69


Cat # 14010 Lady in Lilac

2 comments:

  1. (Oh that was interesting. I entered my comment, and clicked to preview, and it was deleted.)
    Sea I love this, so delicate and feminine. I love the soft colors. Well Done! You can paint anything can't you!
    Your postcards arrived yesterday! They are so gorgeous Sea! Thank you so much! I am going to put a couple of them on an inspiration board, and use some for Thank You cards. I am so glad that your Art party was a success! And I am looking forward to the next one!
    Happy painting to you Sea!
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How strange. I'm glad you got through at last and also that you liked the prints. I think Vistaprint does an amazing job on them but their shipping is a bit high if that's all you order. '
      Yes, I probably can paint anything, but with my own twist, because that's what I teach my students to do in my "Paint a Masterpiece" classes. I just heard yesterday that one of my students from a couple of years ago has become quite a prolific artists and well collected in her area. She was a beginner and I had to talk her into taking the class, at first, so that's exciting. Can't wait for all the new plans to unfold in 2014.

      Delete

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.